Archive for the ‘Vehicles’ Category


Import Vehicle into the USA in 3 Steps

For updates, tips and information on this subject please signup below:

3 Steps to Import Vehicle to US

With the current exchange rate many Canadian vehicles are being actively sourced by U.S. buyers. Importing a road vehicle into the U.S. can be difficult; however, we have broken down the process into these three steps for those who want to engage in this venture on their own:

1. Ensure the vehicle is admissible for vehicle import.

In order to meet the requirements for an import vehicle to USA  you will need to have both an Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) sticker and a Department of Transportation (DOT) sticker affixed to the vehicle. If the vehicle is 25 years or older it is exempt from the DOT certification sticker. If it is over 21 years or older, it is exempt from the EPA certification sticker.


If the import vehicle is without a DOT sticker, but does have a CMVSS Canadian Maple Leaf, it may still be eligible for import; by contacting the Manufacturer for a “Letter of Confirmation” which will only work for Personal use Imports.  Commercial imports will require the vehicle to be imported through a US Customs Broker and registered importer and is required to hold the vehicle for a minimum of 30 days after importation.


Import Vehicles with missing EPA stickers will not be allowed into the USA without contacting the Manufacturer of the Engine for a replacement.


Additionally, if the vehicle is a salvaged, repaired salvaged or reconstructed motor vehicle, it is not admissible for import into the U.S.

2. Create/obtain the required documentation.

Since U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), the DOT and EPA are involved with vehicle imports, it is important to understand that each agency has specific documentation requirements. The following list of forms will need to be accurately completed and submitted:

  • U.S. Customs or Commercial Invoice
  • DOT Vehicle Declaration Form (HS-7)
  • EPA Vehicle Declaration Form (3520-1)
  • Copy of the vehicle registration

3. Have the vehicle steamed, sprayed or cleaned thoroughly before shipment.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture requires that the undercarriage of the imported vehicle be free of foreign soil to safeguard against importation of dangerous pests.
Wherever you may be in the purchasing process whether you are currently ready to import vehicle to US or still in the contemplation stage and need assistance,  you can fill in the quote form below or reach out to us directly anytime : Toll-Free: 888.538.1566  or eMail us here : [email protected]

Have you successfully or not quite successfully imported a vehicle into the USA? What has your experience been? Share it in our comments section below or email us at Ask Your Broker. 

Fill in a request for a quote below and have one of our experts take care of your vehicle import requirements:

Automated Export System Filing — Get Your Vehicle Across the U.S. Border

AES Filing - Vehicle Export from USANew export reporting requirements from the U.S.

Effective October 2, 2014, the U.S. Census Bureau (Census) Foreign Trade Regulations (FTR) mandated the filing of electronic export information (EEI) through the Automated Export System (AES) or AESDirect for all used self-propelled vehicles, regardless of value or country of destination. Importers and exporters of used self-propelled vehicles need to keep in mind that this new condition is in addition to the current 72-hour notice requirements.


What is considered a used self-propelled vehicle?

Any self-propelled vehicle that has been purchased and then re-sold (even if the vehicle is only days old) is considered a used vehicle; and includes any automobile, truck, tractor, bus, motorcycle, motor home, and any other self-propelled machinery or equipment. However, the requirement to file AES does not apply to dealer-to-dealer transactions when the equipment is brand new .


Impact on U.S. exporters?

Automated Export System filing is now mandatory. These regulations apply to all exports of any used-self-propelled vehicle from the U.S. For example, if you are planning to buy a vehicle in the USA and import it to Canada or another country, the new regulation in effect will make the export process a little more complicated. The U.S. exporter or appointed agent is now required to file electronic export information and report to the U.S. Census  through AES to provide vehicle, shipper, and consignee information.


Who can file through the Automated Export System?

Automated Export System (AES) filings must be handled by a U.S. domiciled company. A customs broker, freight forwarder or United States Principal Party in Interest (USPPI) can file the AES declaration. In other words, the AES filing for an Internal Transaction Number (ITN) can only be done by a resident of the United States. (i.e. the seller or an appointed agent )


How the Automated Export System works?

AES was created as a channel through which required export shipment information reaches the appropriate agency involved in monitoring and validating U.S. exports. Once the AES filing has been completed, an Internal Transaction Number (ITN) will be assigned. The customs broker or importer provides the ITN on the Vehicle Export Cover Sheet to U.S. Customs and Border Protection to file 72 hour notice and bring the vehicle across the U.S. border.


Penalties for non-compliance

It is important to understand these requirements to avoid costly penalties. The CBP will begin to issue penalties on behalf of Census in amounts up to  US $10,000 for non-compliance per violation. These penalties may be imposed for failure to file export information in AES, delayed filing, filing of false or misleading information, and any other violations of Foreign Trade Regulations. Canadian buyers of vehicles from the U.S. should start complying right now or risk having the vehicle held up at the border.


How can Pacific Customs Brokers help?

Pacific Customs Brokers can handle these filings on your behalf and offers full and partial Automated Export System (AES) filing services for commercial and individual importers. Contact us to learn how we will help you meet your AES obligations.


Do you have questions on exporting a vehicle from the USA? Leave them for us in the comments section below.


Additional Resources